The Palm Beach Post is reporting on a survey carried out on behalf of Office Depot that suggests that more Americans are taking steps to protect their privacy and to prevent identity theft:
Americans increasing protections of privacy, personal information:
- Two-thirds of those surveyed shred credit-card offers and their bills.
- More than one-third bring their mail to the post office rather than leaving it unattended in their mailbox.
- A quarter of them shield the ATM screen at banks.
- A quarter of them don't sign the back of their credit card so sales clerks will check their identification.
- 7 percent of respondents use only cash for purchases so there's no paper trail.