Last week, Global Television's main news program has aired a number of reports relating to privacy breaches at Canada Revenue Agency. This has led to a number of viewers contacting the TV network to report their own versions, involving Revenue Canada and others.
The Global Maritimes ran a report on Thursday about a woman in Nova Scotia who was repeatedly sent the credit card information, including the "secret code" for a cardholder in Ontario. When she informed them of the screw-up, they told her she was wrong and kept resending the info to her. When contacted by Global's reporter, the Ontario cardholder was furious that he had no idea that a woman in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, could have gone to town on his Visa account and the company apparently never did anything to protect his account.
There are also a number of small scale breaches recounted as comments to the CRA breach story on the Global TV website:
Taxman moves to protect privacy
- in 1988 while living in Woodstock ON, I received an other pe... Wanda
- It happened to me last month. I received information that be... vivian
- Revenue Canada provides the Quebec Govt with income informat... Yves
- I thought maybe I should share my incident although I had ... Sherri
- This is not quite the same but equally disturbing. My husba... Margaret
- Last year I went to the post office to pick up my passport a... Elaine
- How about receiving mail from the government addressed Maureen
- Summer, 2005 I requested a Revenue Canada summary and receiv... Frank
- My dad's Disability Tax credit approval notice was enclosed ... Marnie