Information Week is always a good source of privacy reporting and today they've posted a really good article on the changing face of privacy and how companies need to adjust. The article is about eight printed pages long, but here are the topics covered:
Privacy: The Problem That Won't Go Away - Your privacy mistakes can easily become everyone's business. Here's how to keep your company--and your career--out of the spotlight
- It's A Strategy, Not Just A Policy
- Privacy Laws Will Change—Often
- You Can Excel--Don't Just Avoid Screwups
- All Data Is Sensitive
- Retain The Right Data, For The Right Time
- Helping Can Hurt You--Even With The Feds
- Partners Can Be Your Biggest Problem
- Technology Can Create New Problems
- One Privacy Approach Can't Cover All
They've also posted two great sidebars: Technology To The Rescue: From anonymizers to network monitors to identity management sysems, there's a host of privacy-enhancing products and strategies available and Privacy File: 10 Events That Impacted The IT Landscape - Here's a quick scan of recent events, which have roiled the privacy waters at AOL, at the FBI, and in Europe.
Read it, learn it, live it.